"It is a good divine that follows his own instructions; I can easier teach twenty what were good to be done than to be one of the twenty to follow mine own teaching."
Portia, The Merchant of Venice, Act I, Scene II.



Thursday, July 9, 2015

Shakespeare: Feel the fear and do it anyway!





Do your students fear Shakespeare? Do they grumble and complain that they don’t want to study his plays? Do they try and change English classes to avoid it? Mine do! However, using tough love, IT tricks, bribery and my passion for the bard, I can usually turn them around and get the students grudgingly admitting: ‘Maybe I like Shakespeare after all’.

I would like to ‘share the love,’ and pass on some ideas which have been successful for me, including drama circles, social media, Kahoot quizzes, video commentaries, debates and good old-fashioned ‘chalk and talk’.

The attached presentation was prepared for a workshop at Capital Letters 2015 - the NZ Association of Teachers of English Conference. It is mainly based on my Level 3 Shakespeare Unit where we study Hamlet and then students complete a research essay for AS 91479 – 3.8 Develop an informed understanding of literature and/or language using critical texts.


Click here to view my Google Slides presentation, which includes links to all the resources. Enjoy, and please give me some feedback at the end. 

Kia ora.


No comments:

Post a Comment